Welcome to our website !

Simply Citified!

A city girl's take on living life simply and enjoying the things that truly matter to us at the end of the day.

A night without electricity

By 06:32 , ,

It is not very often that I experience a black out. It is only when I come to India that I experience it. Now that I'm in India after two years, I need to get used to power cuts that are seemingly normal here.

Living smack in the middle of a city. for some time there wasn't any black outs since I'd arrived. But then the rains started pouring in the evenings and the power cuts followed suit. The first time, it wasn't for very long, but the time frame started extending subsequently.

And last night, I experienced the longest one yet. The power was back on after 45 minutes, then went off and on until past midnight. Not used to staying such long periods of time without a source of heat-relief, I was absolutely positive I was going to die of heat stroke in the middle of the night.

There I sat, for a couple of hours, fanning myself. But I was perspiring like crazy. I thought a cold shower might be a relief, but it only made me feel the heat more. Slightly after midnight, when I could no longer keep my eyes open, I retired to bed thinking I might fall asleep quickly (I was wrong!).

And as I laid in bed fanning myself with a magazine, trying to convince sleep to take me in it's tides for the night, I thought to myself the predicament our world will face if there ever was a situation where we ran out of electricity. How would we overcome the problem? Now that temperatures are rising everywhere, how would we find a way to cope with the heat? Places like Singapore, where people are so pampered in air conditioned environments wherever they go - what will they do?

Alternative energy sources have been identified by scientists and intelligent people around the world, but why are they not in mass production yet? True, there are some cars that run on hydrogen or water or electricity now, but if I'm not wrong, they're more expensive than normal cars. At least, in Singapore, they are. So what are the huge corporations (or governments, maybe?) trying to prove? 

On the other hand, there are professionals predicting that our energy reserves are only going to last for the next 50 years. Then there are others who say it will last for way longer than that. Who should we believe and what is the truth? How will we know?

I still couldn't sleep. It was too hot.

The electricity came back shortly after, and I slept even later. But I did come up with a list of things we could do if ever faced with such a situation. Writing it here, now, in this post would make this post awfully long. Besides, it would kill your interest. So I would like to know your solutions 1st... and I'll list down my ideas in another post.

Let's see what we can come up with :)
 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. It is horrible to think without electricity. But in this modern world finding alternative source still possible i guess. We have a best option already SOLAR!! I even think there must another solutions for fuel. Different people find different solution like water, electricity but some big player should come up with a bold decision. I heard in the developed countries they simple not allowing the inventor to find the alternative fuels because the Gulf countries will heavily get affect!! long back back i have seen the video that company try to produce the car run long in cheap electricity screwed by big oil company ( i dont have the link now). People turning into greed and so does the earth.

    ReplyDelete